Monday, November 28, 2005

Retiring From Stand-up

It's an appropriate date: April 1st 2006 is the last date in my diary with any stand-up gigs marked. If things go to plan, it will be the last time I ever get onto a stage with the express intention of being funny.

That's right, I'm hanging up the mike and taking off the Worzel Gummidge stand up comedian head. It was never a completely comfortable fit anyway. It chafed and wasn't really me.

I've been working on a new head, behind the scenes, for years, which is now ready to be unveiled. Even as I type this, I can feel the whole "Worzel Gummidge Heads" metaphor collapsing around me.

In a nutshell, I'm becoming a full time writer, okay? And film maker, which may require a whole new head, or at least a bigger one.

This was always the plan anyway. I was always writing other stuff and always planned to stop stand-up when I could.

Now I can, so I am.

No comments: